Tuesday, February 07, 2006
I was reading the Dirt Dogs website this afternoon, and the last few columns were all about the possibility of Clemens returning to Boston. Its rumored that the Sox were even putting a video together of Sox fans asking him to return to Bean Town to finish out his career. I can see the positives and negatives to Roger returning.
1. 1.87 ERA last year.
2. It would be nice to see him stick it to the Yankees.
3. With Wells probably leaving, it would be great to have another starter if Arroyo or Clement go into a slump.
4. He is known for his excellent work ethic.
5. If he doesn't go to the Sox, the Yanks are looking at him too.
6. Great role model for the youngsters (Pap, Beckett, Hansen)
1. He's 43 years old.
2. His ERA hasn't been as good in the AL.
3. He was paid 18 million last year and he'll probably be asking about the same.
4. He hasn't exactly been well liked in Boston over the last few years.
In my opinion, I don't think he's a great pickup. There is no telling how long his arm will hold up. It will also be tough to root for him after seeing him play for the bad guys for so long. I've also heard that he received special treatment in Houston that he'd probably expect wherever he ends up. We just have to trust that the Theo will make the right decision.