Thursday, December 22, 2005

Sweeter Victories to Come

At first, I couldn't believe it. Johnny Damon, the face of the Sox, joining the dark side. But then I started to think about the past. This is really nothing new. I remember driving home from the 04 World Series Game party and thinking that we're finally equals, only to be brought back to reality after the Johnson signing that winter. It was only one battle in a really long, onesided war. The trade and negotiations war hasn't been any better. Arod, Vasquez, Contreras .... all the way back to the Babe, the Empire has been able to get the man they've wanted. The Sox are, and always will be the consistent underdog.

Some say that Damon is a traitor, a sellout, a (woman of the streets) for sale to the highest bidder. No matter how you look at it, 52 million sounds much better than 40. I can't say I blame him for taking the money, but it still hurts. Damon once stood for most everything I liked about the Sox. He was funny, scraggly, and laid back. He was the anti-Yankee; a rebel. Now he is starting to sound like everything I hate about the Yankees. Click on Boston.com or ESPN.com to read some of his comments on his new team. Do I think he's a sellout? Yeah. I see now he was just playing the game. He was on a team of rebels with beards that played jokes on each other, so he met the status quo. He is already fitting into the mold of a Yankee player. In the business world, it works. He'll be dressed for success with a business attitude and a business perspective. But in the sports world, that isn't who I want to root for. I like the underdog. The scraggly rebels that have a good time and stick it to the man (except in football, gooooo Pats!).

So what do we do now? Where do we go from here?. To be honest with you, I kind of like it better this way. Yeah, I'd rather have the Damons and Johnsons and Jeters and Scheffields and Arods (at least their talent), but I'm glad I will not be rooting for a team of stiffs. I remember when Arod was practically stolen from the Sox and the Nation was in panic mode. Schilling made a great point that when we beat these guys (which we did), the victory would be that much sweeter. And it was. We stuck it to the man. The blue collar team (comparitavely speaking) beat the suits. David sleighed Goliath. So Sox fans, don't be down. Enjoy the games, and trust that the good guys will win in the end.

No comments: